This is the room that my poor Miss M has been sleeping in.  It was sort of a catch-all for things that didn't fit anywhere else, including the pack-n-play that has been Miss M's bed since she was born.

Finally, around her birthday, we moved her into the same room as Miss E, because I finally finished their bunk beds.  This transition went much better than I feared. Thank goodness!

The transition was feared, but necessary, as I needed the room for baby #3 that's on it's way.

I'm not sure what the previous owners were thinking with this room.  The top 2/3 of the room is a dark/navy blue.  Then you have a white chair rail, and then a medium tan color on the bottom.  The room is the smallest room in the house and because of the paint job, it felt even smaller.  Putting a chair rail in (at the wrong height) and then painting the top half of the room a really dark color is great way to make a room feel small and cramped.

Needless to say, I knew the room needed a paint job. But I never make projects as easy as putting paint on the walls.  Oh no.  Not me.  I have to complicate things.  I have to have ideas.

My first idea was to put bead board up under the chair rail.  Why bead board you ask? That's a very good question.  Let me answer it for you.

It's because our bedroom--the master bedroom--had bead board up around the room and I despised it in there.  It just doesn't feel master bedroom-y to me. Bead board in a nursery?  Cute.  Bead board in a master bedroom?  Classic country.  (Which is totally cool if you love the classic country feel.  My husband and I? Not so much.)

So I thought...I can take the bead board off the walls of our bedroom and cut it to fit in the (much smaller) nursery.  Then I don't have to feel bad about wasting the bead board and it adds to the nursery.  It's a perfect solution!

And that logic is totally sound, right? Removing, cutting, re-installing, and refinishing bead board is totally do-able for a 7-months-pregnant lady. Isn't it?

Although my husband tried to convince me otherwise, I wouldn't be deterred. The bead board was going to be recycled come hell or high water. So off I went.

Here is a quick picture of the master bedroom before:

After two days (of working during naptime), I had it all removed.  Unfortunately, whoever installed it either had a fascination with their nail gun, or were paranoid that the bead board monkeys would come and try to rip the bead board off the walls. (Does that make me a bead board monkey?) Because they used like 85 nails to apply each piece. Are you kidding me?

So then I had to go through with a pliers and pull out all 87 nails from every piece of bead board. Not fun. (Also on a side note, the master bedroom is going to need WAY more work than I thought before I can paint it.  Ergh.)

Once the nail removal was complete, I could install the bead board in the nursery.  Or so I thought.

I had the foresight to set the pieces in where I wanted them to go before nailing them to the wall, and I found that the chair rail in the smaller room wasn't level.  It was installed crooked! There was no way I was going to try to jury rig the finish pieces to cover odd gaps, and there was also no way I was going to removed the chair rail just so I could attempt to re-install it and the bead board properly.

Therefore, the recycling-the-bead-board idea has been scrapped.  Back to the drawing board for me. Hopefully the drawing board has a better idea in mind.  Stop back in to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment